Electric Vehicle Long Term Storage - Disconnect
Recommended Long Term Electric Golf Cart Storage Program - Disconnect
A Club Car vehicle gives you years of trouble-free service when properly maintained. Please follow the recommended long-term storage checklist. For more information on overall vehicle maintenance, consult the owner’s manual.
If any of the following conditions exist, use this long-term storage method:
- The charger cannot remain plugged in continuously throughout the storage period.
- AC power will not be available during the storage period.
- Electrolyte levels will not be maintained throughout the storage period.
Perform the following procedure at least two weeks prior to long-term storage to ensure proper mixing of water and electrolyte. It takes approximately five charge cycles with a minimum of 10 EUs removed to properly mix the water with electrolyte. DO NOT water batteries immediately prior to storage. This will not provide sufficient charge time to mix the water with the electrolyte. Freezing can occur when batteries are stored in this condition.
- Two weeks prior to storage: Check the water levels in each battery cell. If water is required, fill the cells to cover the plates, charge the set and then use distilled water to top off each cell. Electrolyte level should be from 1/2-inch (13 mm) above plates to 1/4-inch (6 mm) below the level indicator.
- Immediately prior to storage:
- Ensure vehicle is fully charged per the owner's manual.
- Turn the key switch to the OFF position, remove the key and leave the forward/reverse switch in the NEUTRAL position during storage.
- Place the tow/run switch in the TOW position. Since the battery warning light does not illuminate with the tow switch in TOW, do not use the warning light as an indication of the batteries’ charge state.
- Clean the battery packs, tops and terminals using a battery acid neutralizer (1 cup baking soda per 1 gallon water). Check, clean and treat battery terminal connections with a battery terminal protector spray.
- If your vehicle is equipped with a Single Point Watering System, make sure to place the fill tube on top of the battery. This allows any water in the tube to drain back into the batteries.
- A bag protector should be stored in the DOWN position to reduce risk of the vinyl in the window panel cracking. The windshield should be stored in the UPRIGHT position.
- Disconnect batteries per the owner's manual ensuring that the cables do not come into contact with a terminal.
- Check tire pressure and inflate to 1 8 - 20 PSI or as called for in the owner's manual.
- Perform all semi-annual lubrications.
- Thoroughly clean the front and rear body, seats, battery compartment and underside of vehicle. Make sure the storage facility has adequate ventilation as called for in the owner's manual.
- Do not engage the park brake, but secure the car from rolling. Chock the wheels of vehicle since the forward/reverse lever is in NEUTRAL and the vehicle is in TOW position.
Isle Golf Cars is not responsible for any damages that may occur while performing the above procedure.
- What are Battery Discharge Minutes?
- How Long do Golf Cart Batteries Last?
- Isle Golf Cars Service
- Maintaining Your Precedent Electric Golf Cart
- Electric Vehicle Short Term Storage - Plugged In
- Electric Service Special Flyer